If you’re interested in walking or running as a hobby or to get into shape, you are going to need running shoes that will properly support your feet. Some patients buy sneakers that aren’t designed for the type of athletic activity they have planned, and that can have repercussions for their foot health. Luckily, the team at Cumberland Run-Walk in Somerset, KY, can help you find the running apparel that is right for you!
Why Running Shoes?
When you’re running, your feet spring forward in a particular, repetitive motion. The heels, ankles, toes, and balls of the feet are all activated at once, and all of them are vulnerable to injury if they’re not protected and supported at each step. Running shoes are specifically designed to give you that support, cushioning, and impact control. Running regularly in poorly designed shoes can cause damage to the tissues, muscles, and bones in your feet.
Running Shoes Considerations
When buying running apparel for your feet, there are a few important considerations to keep in mind. Here at Cumberland Run-Walk in Somerset, KY, we will discuss with you the following points to find you the best shoe:
- Any biomechanics related to your foot
- Your unique foot structure
- Your precise shoe size
- Past or currently existing foot problems that you’re experiencing (such as flat-footedness)
Tips to Guard Your Feet
If you’re a runner, you may be more susceptible to foot conditions like plantar fasciitis and Achilles tendonitis. Here are a few tips for how to protect your feet, toes, and ankles when participating in your favorite athletic hobby:
- Lace up your running shoes all the way to the top and for a snug fit
- Wear medical-grade orthotic supports (which can be custom made by your podiatrist) inside your sneakers
- If you’ve had past foot and ankle problems, ask your podiatrist how to properly wrap your feet before you run
- Do therapeutic exercises before and after each workout
Protect Your Feet While Running
A quality pair of running shoes can be useful to you for years. The team at Cumberland Run-Walk in Somerset, KY, can help you select the best running apparel for your feet. Call 606-678-9864 today to schedule a visit!